AQPER is proud to launch its 5th edition of the student contest under the theme, " Se mobiliser pour la transition énergétique du Québec”! Your research project is about energy transition? This competition is for you! In a nutshell: this is a scientific popularization contest open to graduate students of all disciplines (engineering, sociology, urban planning, finance, political science...).
Why participate? This competition offers finalists:
- The chance to win one of the three scholarships offered by the Quebec Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources totalling $3,000: 1st prize of $1,500, 2nd prize of $1,000 and 3rd prize of $500;
- A complete student pass for the AQPER 2022 annual conference worth $250 + taxes, which includes access to conferences, networking activities and meals;
- A unique opportunity to present their research project to representatives of Quebec companies involved in the energy transition in Quebec, the opportunity to showcase their research project to a diverse audience.
To be eligible, candidates must:
- Be able to express themselves clearly in French or English;
- Present an original research project related to the energy transition in Quebec;
- Be enrolled as a full-time student in a graduate program for the fall 2021 or winter 2022 semester (M.Sc. A, M. Eng., MBA/EMBA, Ph. D, etc.) - Post-doctoral students are not eligible;
- Be available to attend the finals at the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac Hotel on February 21 and 22, 2022;
- Submit the completed registration form by December 6, 2021, 11:59 p.m.
The qualification process for the finals:
- Applicants have until December 6, 2021, to submit their completed registration form.
- Candidates selected for the semi-final round will be contacted by email by December 17, 2021,*.
- Semi-finalists will be asked to provide a short video presentation by January 6, 2022.
- Details on the submission process, format and content of the video will be sent to selected applicants.
- Invitations to the final will be sent to selected applicants by January 15, 2022.
- Finalists will be required to provide a photograph, short biography and proof of full-time registration for the winter 2021 session by January 29, 2022.
- The finals will be held at the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac Hotel on February 21 and 22, 2022.
How does the final take place?
- In a maximum of 3 minutes, finalists must present their research project related to Quebec's energy transition;
- In French or English;
- Using only a slide without animation or video as support;
- Each presentation will be followed by a short question period;
- The final will be presented in front of an audience;
- A jury will determine the winners of the competition.
Examples of topics related to the energy transition:
- New technical solutions for renewable energy sectors (wind, solar, biomass, biogas, biofuels, small hydro, hydrogen, etc.);
- The challenges related to the energy transition;
- Just transition;
- Discourse study on energy transition and climate change;
- The different forms of collective action for the energy transition;
- The role of the media in the energy transition
*Date subject to change depending on the number of registrations.