The AQPER is well acquainted with the political, economic and social environment in which its members operate. This thorough understanding shines through in strong lines of argument and well-thought-out actions designed to further advance renewable energy on several levels.
The Association's growing network of international contacts also helps it bring new perspectives and approaches to the government. Through lobbying activities and by contributing to the work of several Ministries, the AQPER actively pursues the development of a business environment that supports private and community-based energy production. Mutual respect, cooperation and the sharing of expertise and information characterize our relations with the government.
Our mandates in 2013-2014:
- Negotiate favourable conditions for the renewal of private producer contracts under the Ministry of Natural Resources small hydro plant program and Hydro-Quebec's APR-91 purchase program;
- Work toward the adoption of RFPs for additional megawatts of renewable energy;
- Work toward a regulatory framework that better supports the competitiveness of the Quebec wind power sector;
- In the context of the PACC 2020 program and the Quebec waste management policy, work toward:
- obtaining a regulatory framework and guiding principles that support the use of biogas and the implementation of biogas projects;
- obtaining sales conditions that support such projects; and
- the recognition of production costs as admissible under the MDDEP's grant program;
- Work toward an RFP or a purchase program for biomethane from biogas or biomass plants, at conditions that will support private, municipal, community and First Nations producers;
- Work toward increasing the proportion of renewable energy in Quebec's portfolio in the Province's 2015-2025 energy strategy.
Consult, inform, mobilize and lead the way in renewable energy development in Quebec
The AQPER keeps a close eye on the news, follows-up diligently on its current files and takes a proactive approach to managing hot issues. In constant touch with its members, it works to better understand and respond to their needs. Are current events complex and confusing? The AQPER organizes a conference with an expert in the relevant field. Has something had an impact on members' sphere of activity? The AQPER informs them of it. Is member involvement required to attain a common goal? The AQPER issues a call to action and leads the way. Working closely with our member companies is what makes our actions effective and fosters better conditions for private and community-based energy producers and developers.
Constructive communications, relevant information : the AQPER in the news
When in the news, the AQPER strives for a positive, solutions-oriented approach. During the past year, the Association has:
- explained how amortization periods influence the cost of electricity ;
- explained how making use of Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) earned through wind power production could significantly increase Hydro-Quebec's profits;
- lobbied to obtain a wind power RFP;
- provided statistics showing that wind farms produce more power during winter peak demand periods;
- informed the public on the uses of biogas and the significant benefits of methanization.
This article is a condensed version of our 2013-2014 Annual Report, which is available here (in French only).